Monday, December 31, 2007

Split Primaries, Happy New Year! Abstract Daily Painting

"Split Primaries"
8 x 10 inches
(ready to frame)
Acrylic on foam core board
I am not sure how archival this painting is. It started as a standard palette and quickly turned into a fun experiment. Foam core should be framed behind glass, but this has a lovely impasto quality, I would have to have an expert frame it.
It reminds me of Flowers exploding, or a rooster crowing in the morning. I guess it could be anything you wanted it to be. It was fun to create! I used a palette knife at first, then pushed some of the colors together with a brush, very much like I do on my palette.
These are the colors I use the most, and they are used in this painting: Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Red Medium, Napthal Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, and Thalo Blue. These are my primary colors and by using two of each (warm and cool) you can mix almost any color imaginable. I also use white, Dioxizine Purple, and Burnt umber.
I just love these intense strong colors. I can dull them by adding the compliment, creating lovely grays. I do not like using black, it takes over and muddies up my colors. I use it now and then with other colors in it, but I can get nice dark rich blacks in a variety of shades with this palette.

For tips on using color click here.

Email me for availability: fawn@fawnsartstudio.com

Click here to see more



No comments: