Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yielding Spirit, horse, daily painting



"Yielding Spirit"
8 x 10 inches
Acrylic on canvas
SOLD

This is another one for a fund raising event. I really got carried away with it and put way too many hours into it. I just got caught up in the muscles and the great disposition of this horse.

I started with five reference photos of different colored horses in similar poses. Some had their heads up and others had it down. I had to reverse some of them. Then I drew different sketches to find the right angle of the head in relation to the neck. The legs were difficult at first, as I kept getting them too fat and too short.

Next I drew the horse the size it needed to be onto paper, working out most of the problems. Then I drew it onto the canvas.


Usually this approach saves time because I can paint from my detailed drawings and not worry about things being out of proportion. But I kept changing my mind and painting things in differently than the drawing.

In the end it was worth it.

Click here to see my gallery pages!


Email me at: fmcneillbarr@gmail.com for availability and/or information about having your own custom painting created. 

Click here to see what others say about my work!






No comments: